Thursday, April 19, 2012

Portal 3 Fan Art Project

I'm starting a personal non-profit new project inspired by the Portal universe. It's based loosely on the Machinima scene, since I'm using some parts of the original models from the games, but replacing textures, creating new shaders and animations and using a 3D modelling package and rendering engine to deliver the final images. Since it's not using the game engine and it's not real-time, it cannot be called machinima per se, but I'd like to think it recalls some the original spirit. The objective: loads of R&D in order to -hopefully- improve my skills.

Will I be able to create a short ad on my own, although I'm not an animator and not especially proficient at creating full CG pieces?


This project will include the following aspects:
  • 3D Modelling, texturing, rendering of some of the Portal game assets, modifying the original meshes extracted directly from the game, to reach an acceptable level for cinematic purposes.
  • Shot planning and storyboards
  • 32 bit multichannel compositing
  • Motion capture using PS3 cameras and some software to be determined
  • Manual face animation
  • Music to be determined too, probably not sound (music video-style)
  • Editing
  • Viral success! :)

No comments: