Thursday, April 19, 2012

CHELL (Portal main character) test renderings. Face and expressions!

This is an early test for CHELL,
the main character (and actually the only one). I custom modelled the eyes, and revamped some of the textures, uprezzed them and added some new features, like dirt and blood. The idea behind this new look is creating a beaten version of Chell, similarly to the new Tomb Raider game (2012). She has been passing tests over over again, and she's exhausted and a bit angry. That's how I imagined you would be if you were forced to go through endless test chambers, the same way the characters from the movie Cube were extremely pissed off.
To accomplish this look I've combined the Vray SSS2 material with custom painted specular maps. I tried to create SSS maps, but results were poor. So I believe I'm sticking to diffuse map, normal map (painted in zbrush, skin pores, lip wrinkles) and specular amount and glossiness maps. HDR maps help a lot too.




I've tried to create some expressions too, but due to the fact that 3Dsmax is pretty crappy when it comes to organic selections (even with soft selection on), I've resorted to trusty Zbrush for this particular task and...it works great. I discovered the "Topological Move" Brush works wonders when creating muscular displacement. I'm still investigating the matter, though.

No comments: